In 1947, Georgy Totibadze begins to study arts and painting at the Tbilisi State Academy of Arts with teacher Ucha Japaridze, before receiving his diploma in 1953. In 1959, he obtained the title of professor and created his own artist workshop. He has been named rector of the Tbilisi State Academy of Arts from 1972 to 1982, where he taught arts and painting. Among his students was Gia Bugadze. He will then become an active member of the USSR Academy of Arts in 1975. Gogi Totibadze’s multi-figure thematic compositions, portraits of famous people, landscapes are outstanding in Georgian painting. Gogi Totibadze showed great interest in the inner and spiritual world of human, he always tried to embody the diversity of life through painting. His paintings of the classic genre are both poetry and music – aesthetic and emotional, sculpted in oil with amazingly plastic forms. His works are preserved in the Georgian National Gallery, the Fine Art Museum of Georgia, the Academy of Sciences of Georgia, the Tretyakov Gallery and in private collections of Georgia and Russia. G. Totibadze rests in the Didube Pantheon in Tbilisi.
Date of Birth/Death1928-2009Share