Graphic artist, painter, and book illustrator, Honored Artist of Georgia (1966), Elguja Berdzenishvili belonged to the generation of artists of the 50s of the last century.
He graduated from the Tbilisi Academy of Art in 1956, after which, by the decision of the prominent graphic artist Lado Grigolia, he had been included in the creative group tasked with creating promotional products for the 1958 Moscow Decade of Georgian Art and Literature. Elguja Berdzenishvili together with his brother, sculptor Merab Berdzenishvili, created highly artistic posters, brochures and invitation cards for the Kote Marjanishvili theatre performances with a combination of font, color and ornaments. The distinctive design of advertising products became the first important statement of the artist Elguja Berdzenishvili in the beginning of his career path and triggered a radical change in the history of the development of Georgian posters.
Elguja Berdzenishvili extensively participated in group exhibitions starting from 1956, working predominantly in the fields of painting, book illustration and murals. He illustrated Konstantine Gamsakhurdia’s The Right Hand of the Grand Master (1972), and created panels for the Union-scale recreation complex in Bichvinta (1967) and Okami’s cellar. He is the author of several books.
Portraits occupy a prominent place in his painting.