The eminent graphic artist, founder of modern Georgian graphic art, People’s artist of the Georgian SSR, winner of the Shota Rustaveli Prize, Honored Art Worker of the Georgian SSR and Professor at the Tbilisi Academy of Arts, Lado Grigolia is considered a major master of the Georgian book art. In 1930, he graduated from the Tbilisi Academy of Arts. During his studies at the Academy, he simultaneously worked in the sculpture workshop of Iakob Nikoladze and in the graphic studio of Joseph Charlemagne.
Starting from 1933, he started teaching at the Academy of Arts. Since 1928, he participated in artistic exhibitions. He created lots of fonts, typefaces as well as headpieces, culs-de-lampes and other book ornamentation based on old Georgian manuscripts and decorative materials of printed books.
His work “Georgian Constructive and Academic Font” became the basis of teaching the discipline of lettering at the Academy of Arts.
He designed more than a hundred books, including The Knight in the Panther’s Skin, jubilee editions of the complete works of Akaki Tsereteli and Nikoloz Baratashvili.
In 1934 his was the only Soviet ex libris to receive the honorary diploma Award of Merit at the Los Angeles international exhibition in California.
The Ten-day Festival of Georgian Literature and Art, held in Moscow in 1958, for which he created a special emblem as well as specimen posters and advertisements, was a landmark in his creative work. For the overall direction of the artistic design of the Festival Grigolia was decorated with the Badge of Honour.