Painter, graphic artist, stage and costume designer, book illustrator.
1911-1915: she studied at the School of the Caucasian Society of Fine Arts, under Iakob Nikoladze, Mose Toidze and Oscar Shmerling.
1915: went to the Moscow School of Painting, Sculpture and Architecture and proceeded with her education under Konstantin Korovin and Nikolay Kasatkin.
1917: dropped her studies and returned to Georgia.
1921: worked as a librarian in the Georgian National Gallery, which was the main center of artistic life of the country at that time. Dimitry Shevardnadze, the artist, founder and director of the Gallery, actively supported the carrier of the young Magalashvili. It was he who advised her to concentrate mostly on the portrait genre.
1923: Public Commissariat of Education sent her to Paris to continue her studies. Together with other Georgian artists Elene Akhvlediani, Lado Gudiashvili and David Kakabadze she got acquainted with the Western Modern Art movements. In 1923-26 she attended the Colarossi Free Academy in Paris.
1926: returned to Georgia and continued to work at National Gallery and the newly founded National Museum as a conservator making copies of many Georgian frescoes. She retired from the museum in 1937 after Dimitry Shevardnandze’s execution.
Magalashvili participated in all exhibitions arranged by the Union of Artists.
The portraits by Ketevan Magalashvili of Elene Akhvlediani, Iakob Nikoladze, Alexi Machavariani and others, are interesting for both documentary importance and high artistic value. These are psychological portraits, where the artist continues the traditions of realistic painting enriched with the new artistic decisions.
Magalashvili’s art is marked by sharp psychological expression, refined coloristic harmony and great artistic technique.
Throughout her life she made great number of portraits of her contemporaries – the outstanding figures in literature art and science.
For her contribution into the development of Georgian art, she was awarded with order of the Red Banner of Labor and received two “signs of honor”.